Skip to main content

MY AFSB INTERVIEW AT VARANASI

Joining the defence forces has been one of my passions ever since childhood,after school though,it did not seem to be a good idea to join the defence academy straightway,but after graduating and spending three cheerful years in college,as I got an opportunity to join the forces,I applied for the CDS exams in February this year.It was an easy exam from my standards and I was pretty sure to qualify and move on to the next level.I did,and was called for the interview at AFSB-Varanasi in August. I was thrilled to meet air force officers and talk to them and being tested by them seemed to be an opportunity too exciting to describe.I always have been excited by the sight of men in uniform and wish to become one myself as well!

So with the call for AFSB confirmed I began preparing for it.Since it was my debut,I relied on some helpful websites which provided the necessary information about the procedure there,and the things to carry with myself etc.I had two weeks or so,before I had to reach there so I hurried up to book my ticket and luckily got it easily.My interview was to commence on the 24th of August,so I boarded the train on 23rd at 1315 here in Delhi and reached Varanasi in the early morning at around 0230.On the train,I found 2-3 people who were also going for the same interview,we talked all along and the journey was easier than expected.At Varanasi,we reached the waiting hall,had a bath there and were ready by 0530,sipping our tea outside the railway station.We had to report at 0630 on the other side,we reached there and then the Air force people already waiting there for us,helped us reach the AFSB which was situated right next to the station.(We could walk and reach there in 5 minutes,but were taken in a bus!!)

After reaching there,we were briefed by the staff there,our identities were verified and then we had breakfast and tea and after that we were taken in a conference hall where we were welcomed,and further instructions were given by our DSO.The testing starts immediately and there was no time to waste.We had the OIR test and then it was followed by the Picture Perception and Discussion Test.I had,a few months back failed in the group discussion part of this test when I appeared for the Coast guard interview and this time I was more careful and slightly more aggressive and persuasive in getting my point across.It worked and I was screened in.

After being screened in,it was confirmed that we were going to stay there for the next 5 days and it was sort of exciting for me,being a debutant.On the first day itself,our documents were verified and it consumed almost the entire remaining day.We were given new chest numbers and it was going to be our identity for the next 5 days there.I was given chest no.1 which had a lot of benefits.I was going to lead everyone,wherever all of us were required,the counting was to start with me everyday!Then we were assigned rooms,according to our chest numbers.The rooms were named after the aircrafts of the IAF,ours was chetak! So we took our bags,entered the room chetak and then next thing was bonding with the roommates.

I was lucky to have some like minded people in my room.Overall there were 8 people in our room.One guy was from Delhi itself and he graduated with an honors in english from the Ramjas college here,we shared a lot of ideas among us.The other guy was form Chhapra in Bihar with whom we shared a whole lot of jokes.We used to make fun of him playfully though,and he was a nice guy and earned a lot of respect from us as well.There were two other guys from Bihar,one was staying in Delhi preparing for the civil services and he too was a nice fellow.The other guy was from Gaya and seemed like he has left his home for the first time.He was nervous,confused and often looked like being out of place.There were two people with engineering degrees as well,one from Rajasthan and the other from Madhya Pradesh.Both of them were nice and played a role in our enjoyable stay there.There was this last guy,who was form a village in Haryana.Initially he used to be liked by us all,as he was the most experienced among us in these things but as time progressed and the mess he created on the GTO day(I'll write about it),he easily became the most disliked guy in the room.But all of us jelled well,and often used to talk a lot about our personal lives,friends,girlfriends,politics, military and all other stuff,often until late in the night.

Day 2
Day 2 was for the Pilot aptitude battery test(PABT).In this test first you are given a 1 hour lecture about the equipments used in the aircrafts like speedometer,altitude meter and stuff like that.People who fail this test once in their life,are not allowed to take it again.So we were taken to the same conference hall,and then the test started with a brief introduction to the procedures.After the lecture ended we were handed,test sheets which required us to be quick and accurate with our answers.Then after that,the results are out within a few minutes and the people who pass are taken to the next level,the simulator.It is not a much difficult test,but it tests your response and reaction mechanism.Sadly,I could not do that and failed that test.My only opportunity to become a pilot in the air force was gone!But I did not know it until the conference on the last day so I had no worries as such till then.There was no further testing on day 2 and we went back to our rooms.We used to have 4 hours in the day to go out and visit the city.We went out that day to have a look at varanasi,as it was my first visit there.It is a typical north indian city that I'm used to but has hundreds of temples at every nook and corner!

Day-3
Day 3 was for the psychological test.It is a long test consisting of more than 4 hours and you are not supposed to get up from that seat in between.I won't mention the details of the test( it can be found on any website!).It was a nice experience,we wrote a lot of words and applied our minds over and over again repeatedly.At the end,honestly,I was exhausted and needed some break.So we went out again that day,had some food outside in the city,spent some good time with the mates,had a lot of chat etc.At night again we had dinner at the mess,and then retired back to our rooms.We talked a lot,and finally we slept but before that we were aware that the next day could be the GTO so had some discussions about it too.

Day-4
Day 4 and 5 were for the GTO,we were divided into groups of 8.We did not have the GTO on the 4th day,instead I had an interview that day.The interviews are decided randomly and usually 2-3 guys are called together and informed about it well in advance.We were told the previous day about the interview.In the morning we were taken in some sort of a hall,where we were seated.But then we were disappointed to know that our interview was postponed and we were asked to be there at 1500 hours.We returned back to the mess,had some fun with people and then in the afternoon reached for the interview.After sitting for almost an hour,in the heat with AC not working and fans refusing to rotate,I was finally called for the interview at around 1545.

My interview::
My interview did not go as I expected it to.I realized it immediately after I got out of there,but it was not like I goofed up or something.Neither did I fail to answer any of the questions.I was a bit casual,I feel during the interview and I believe this was the reason I didn't perform well.As I was called in at around 1600,I was nervous as anybody.But as I entered the room,I found the officer to be too polite.He asked me a few questions(to probably kill the nervousness),and then slowly moved on to ask questions about almost all aspects of my life.He asked about my parents,my relationship with them,then about friends..He even asked what I do with my free time and how I use the internet!Frankly,I was expecting some heavy questions,something technical or professional in nature but it was personal.It did me in as I was not expecting it.Then our discussion moved on to current news,politics and issues like pakistan.I mentioned the Israeli attack on the gaza strip and possible reasons for the same,when he asked about any current international event. There was turmoil in Pakistani capital Islamabad too,and on the Border we have issues of pakistani firing on our border posts.I did well there(I think),but then my confidence was losing in between and he must have noticed that. Then he asked me for the motivation for joining the IAF.I told him the usual passion for uniform,the glorious job etc but those were like templates and I could not come up with something from my heart.It was almost 1 hour before the interview ended,and after getting out I was sure it was not the way I wanted it to be.

Day-5:The GTO
The GTO is supposed to be the most interesting task in the entire SSB interview. Here you are tested for physical strength,planning and you ability to work within a group. As everyone does,we planned the previous night what to do and what not to do during the task. There are the following tasks we did on that day:
The group discussion: This is different from the GD we have on the first day. Here we are given two topics,one we have to choose and the other is given by the GTO officer and we have to discuss the topics among ourselves as opposed to reaching a common story.We started discussing and now here I have to mention the 'experienced guy' I mentioned before. He started outshouting others.He was not ready to listen to anyone,negating almost everybody and it looked apparent he was nervous. Some of the people of our group were frustrated by this kind of behaviour,but he was relentless. After GD was completed,all of us pounced on him for being such a stupid there.
Then we had the planning task.We were given a problem and had to solve it.Here we co operated and despite some objections,we reached the solution. I was nominated by the group to narrate the solution,and I did it confidently and then we moved on for rest.
Next we had the progressive group task.In this task we have balli,danda,rassi and balti and we have to solve the obstacles using these props.Here too the entire group must work in a united way and yes the 'experienced guy' tried to spoil it as well.Then we moved on the half group tasks,individual task and command task as well. I was not satisfied with my performance in the GTO as well.
The day ended and we all were tired in the evening.we decided to have a walk outside in the evening,and then after having some relaxation outside in the city we returned to our beds and relaxed.
Next day was our final day and it was relaxing as per our expectations. We all dressed up in the morning,and packed our bags. We submitted the bedsheets and fans and prepared to leave the place.After that we were taken to the conference hall where we were taken on the very first day.And then we were called one by one. My turn came quickly so I did not have to wait a lot for the conference.In the conference room,all the officers were sitting in a semi circle,and one of them asked me a few questions. He asked me about the stay to which I replied pleasant. Then he asked me what I was doing in Delhi at present and what I want to do in the next few months. I replied that I want to join a Msc program next year,then he asked me for suggestions and I replied no to it.With that my conference was ended.

The conference for remaining candidates continued for the next three hours.There was a rumour going that the candidates whose conference time is longer will get recommended.We were sitting in the lounge watching TV,switching channels as candidates returned one by one. I was sitting in a corner looking at the window wondering how good the life can be if I get selected. First time in my life, I felt a desire to join the forces directly coming from the heart.I made up my mind to apply again and again until I get selected.
After almost 3 hours the conference ended. We were again taken to the conference hall,where we anxiously awaited the results.There was a lot of talk going on,just to kill time.After almost an hour the DSO arrived with the results.Our heartbeats rose immediately. First he declared the results for PABT and to my surprise he did not mention my chest number!I was almost certain that I'd clear the PABT,but then the reality was something else.
Then he came to the final results.He mentioned-there are four recommended candidates,and then immediately mentioned the chest numbers. My number was not there,and I felt dejected.But I felt an inner strength,being a debutant, I came this far and performed a few tasks confidently.Within my room I managed to get some respect from the friends and it serves as a confidence booster for me.

After that we were taken by a bus to the railway station just nearby,and then we took our trains back home.I was not recommended on this occasion but learnt a lot of lessons which will help in the next interviews.As of now,I plan to sit for the AFCAT and the CDS twice an year as well.Besides there are other entries like the Indian Coast Guard as well for which I keep applying. I have heard people getting recommended in their 7th 8th and even 10th attempts for the SSB,so there is no issue of me feeling any loss for not making it in the very first attempt....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AS I GRADUATE.....

Motivation is needed in every walk of life.Whether we are kids or grown ups there are instances when we start doubting ourselves,and things go way off the limits sometimes and we often create an emotional mess,to get out of which seems a daunting task! So,right at that point we need someone to inspire us,some person to look up to.Some ideas to pick us up or maybe some friend to offer his/her shoulder,at least.Those who have company often share their emotions and hence face every situation collectively.They don't have a lot of problems tackling individual issues provided the company is good.Each one helps the other in facing the situations, this lack of motivation as well. People like me who don't prefer company have to develop some kind of inner mechanism so that when every thing seem down,there is an inner sense of confidence to pick us up. I feel this confidence is not optional and as we get out there in the world it is often left to us alone,to face the t

TRIP TO NAGALAND

Not too many people have Nagaland in their bucket list. Uncomfortable roads, poor transport system and a lot of corruption are a few factors which contribute to it. Added to it the stories of still active insurgency, Nagaland although an extremely beautiful hill state doesn’t manage to have a lot of tourism going on except for the Hornbill festival in December every year. But, my case is slightly different. Affinity towards the culture of the entire North east, plus a desire to visit not to tourist frequented places made Nagaland a definite must go. So, when I got time and saved some money, I immediately planned a trip to the beautiful hilly state with my girlfriend. The Nagaland express Since, th is was my second trip towards the hills of the North east, I was more confident and familiar with the sytem than the previous time. We booked a filght to Guwahati and from there we took a train to Dimapur aptly named :”Nagaland Express”. This trip was never meant to be pleasurable

FIRST TRIP TO THE NORTH EAST-MIZORAM

Around 7 years ago during the final year of my school, I read a book about the various tribes of the north East India. Already fascinated by a place so serene, yet unexplored and heard stories of the people inhabiting those lands, the book generated in me a desire to visit the places as soon as possible. The author of that book visited the entire North East as a part of his assignment for All India Radio (AIR) during the 1970s and the way he described those tribes and the places, a strong desire arose inside of me to visit these places and see for myself how beautiful that land is, how well mannered those people are! It is aptly called the 'unexplored paradise' as I discovered. But the idea materialized only in March, when financially empowered by a scholarship from ISRO, and constantly motivated by my best friend (who could not resist travel, and hence accompanied me!), I planned to visit Mizoram. Why Mizoram? There is a particular thing about the mizos, and if asked com